Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Abbreviated Adventures of Mogey & Smush Volume CCCXVII

One afternoon Mogey and Smush were relaxing on their front porch, sipping lemonade and munching on molasses cookies with molasses frosting that were especially tasty when dunked in large bowl of molasses. They were just beginning to debate whether a dozen cookies apiece is too many for one sitting, when their conversation was interrupted by a man walking up the front steps.

"Good morrow, gentlemen," the man said. He was a youngish fellow with a bit of beard clinging to his face and he wore what appeared to be a deerskin jacket. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but, you see, I'm a bit lost. The name's Sebastian Hankanitus," he went on, extending a hand.

"Bless you," said Smush.

"Say, what a coincidence. I think I have a case of that Substin Hunkaritus on my foot," Mogey exclaimed.

"Er, I think you misunderstood me, sir," Sebastian replied. "You see, my name is Sebastian Hankanitus."

"Right, right," Mogey said, nodding. "No, I understand you, Doc. But since you're here, would you mind taking a look at my foot?"

"Sir, no, I'm not a doctor," Sebastian protested as Mogey plopped his bare foot on the table. "Why do you want me to look at your foot?"

"I thought you said you were an expert on Stankerson Honkenitus," Mogey answered. "And I got it bad. I mean look at this hoof! It's bluer than a sheep who's been painted blue. What do you think, Doc?"

"I don't know," Sebastian sighed, glancing about the room. "Maybe stop eating so much molasses?"

"That's what all the other doctors keep telling me," Mogey said, shaking his head as he munched another cookie. "But it's just so darned refreshing."

No comments:

Post a Comment