Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Abbreviated Adventures of Mogey & Smush Volume CCCLXVIII

"Now now, Mogey and Smush, you know full well it is past your bedtime," the governess called. Mogey and Smush were deathly afraid of the governess and so they dropped their game of tiddlywinks at once, and ran upstairs to the drawing room.

"Have you washed behind your ears?" the governess asked, putting down her knitting.

"Yes, governess," Mogey and Smush said, bobbing their heads. The governess checked behind their ears anyhow - she always checked.

"Alright then, you may say your prayers," the governess instructed. Mogey and Smush knelt down and clasped their hands in front of themselves.

"Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my leftovers will keep
If I should hunger before I wake
I pray the cook a pie will bake."

"Now off to bed with you!" the governess said, sending Mogey and Smush to their chambers. When they had gone she smacked her lips and began rustling around the pantry: something about those troublesome children saying their prayers made her hungry every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment