Monday, September 20, 2010

The Abbreviated Adventures of Mogey & Smush Volume 416

One day, Mogey and Smush realized the ancient cork tree overhanging their house had become a bit too large and a bit too old. A limb more than six feet in diameter hung directly over their greenhouse, which housed the most highly sought-after cucumber plants in the district.

"Looks like we're going to have to cut her down," Smush said as they gazed nostalgically at the tree that had provided them with so many corks over the years.

"Don't worry, Smush," Mogey replied. "I'll take care of this. You go about your business."

Smush was doubtful, but he let Mogey be and went inside to pickle some rutabagas. Several hours later he came back out to see how his pal was getting on, only to find Mogey asleep in the hammock, a two-man crosscut saw by his side.

"What in tarnation are you doing, Mogey?" Smush demanded.

"Eh?" Mogey grunted, waking up with a start. "Oh, Smush, there you are. Well I tried to chop down the old tree, but it's a two-man saw and I'm only one person, you see."

"I was right inside the whole time!" Smush retorted. "You could have asked for help."

"I didn't want to take you away from your pickling jars," Mogey said. "I know how much you like pickling."

"Well, I'm here now," Smush sighed. "So let's do some work on the tree."

"Actually, would you mind handling the cutting yourself for a while?" Mogey replied. "I think I'm going to take a bit of a nap."

No comments:

Post a Comment