Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Abbreviated Adventures of Mogey & Smush Volume CXLVI

Mogey and Smush both owned bathrobes. Mogey's was canary yellow and embossed with a large red M on the back. Smush's was jet black and embossed with an S on the left lapel. On the rare occasion that Mogey and Smush weren't wearing them, the bathrobes could be found hanging in the water closet on the second landing of the mansion.

One day Smush came home from work around midday feeling rather ill, only to find Mogey sitting in the easy chair and wearing his black bathrobe with the S on the left lapel.

"Mogey!" Smush groaned. "What in the world are you doing?"

"Taking my afternoon break of course," Mogey replied in a tone that suggested his current appointment was far from abnormal.

"You take a break in the middle of the day?" Smush exclaimed. "And why are you wearing my bathrobe?"

"Sure, I always come home for three or four hours around this time," Mogey answered. "And this is most certainly not your bathrobe!"

"Then why does it have an S embossed on the left lapel?" Smush asked.

"The S stands for spicy," Mogey explained. "You see, I always take a midday siesta to digest my luncheon. If I eat something mild, I wear my bathrobe with the big red M, but if I eat a half dozen three-alarm-chili-dogs like I did today, well then I need the loose airiness of my spicy robe. I've been wondering for years why YOU wear it every morning."

No comments:

Post a Comment