Thursday, November 2, 2023

The Abbreviated Adventures of Mogey & Smush: 2023 Edition - Episode 27

 "Smush!" Mogey shouted, whapping his pal's arm, "do you see what I see?" 

"I think so," Smush replied, "but I double checked and that glow up ahead isn't a Drive Thru Tacos Deluxe after all. It's just the stinkin' sun."

"Not the sun - take a gander through the trees there. Doesn't that look like a wishing well?"

"Erm," said Smush, "I suppose..."

"The perfect opportunity to wish for that water trampoline we've been wanting!"

"Well..."

"And," Mogey continued, "I just so happen to have a coin for each of us. If we double up on wishes, that water bouncer is as good as ours."

"I don't know," Smush said as Mogey dragged him toward the wishing well. "I think I'd rather save my wish for a shooting star or something."

"Nonsense!" 

Mogey thrust a piece of silver into his pal's hand and addressed the roofed stone structure that stood in the midst of a clearing. He placed his own coin atop his fist and prepared to flip it into the well.

"I wish for a top-of-the-line, inflatable, reinforced water tra--"

"Don't mind if I do!" croaked a voice from inside the well. Out shot a long and sticky tongue, which snatched the coin from Mogey's hand before he could finish his wish. Moments later, two bulbous eyes peeked out over the well's circular stone wall.

"Who in the world are you?" Mogey demanded. 

"Name's Beardley the coin-eating toad," the creature replied, somehow making a crunching sound as he chewed away at Mogey's silver. "Oh - hullo, Smush."

Smush shifted awkwardly when Beardley spoke to him, but said nothing in reply.

"Tell me, Smush," Beardley continued, grinning a warty grin, "did you ever get that 'Mogey-eating shark' you were wishing for when I munched your coin last week? As I am wont to do? Hmm?" 

"Well?" demanded Mogey, hands on hips. "Answer the toad! Is this why I keep seeing a circling dorsal fin and hearing a rumbling tumbly every time I go near the pond?"

"Alright!" Smush admitted. "It's true. I split a roast goose with our pal Ham von Hamm and got my shark on the wishbone. But I couldn't have you hogging the water trampoline when we do finally get it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment